Turkey Day & Life Update

I got to go home for Thanksgiving this year (unexpectedly)…it was a whirlwind trip, but I am SO glad I got to go. Monday was spent traveling for the most part and working in the afternoon. Then Monday night my mom and sister came up to meet me for dinner (I stayed up north because it would have been insanely silly to try to fight rush-hour traffic both ways since I had to be back up there Tuesday morning). Then Tuesday, I actually got done with the work stuff early which was great because it meant more time with my sister and nephew.

After that it was a blur of staying at my mom’s and sister’s houses, playing with my nephew, shopping for last minute fixings and hanging out with the rest of the family. My sister and I (and respective partners) all went in on getting my mom a new TV since hers is finally dying. Since I won’t be home for Christmas we decided to give it to her on Thursday…it was awesome. 🙂 We found a nice 32″ at Costco for a fantastic deal.
We had dinner at my sisters with Mom and Nick’s family all there. It was so fun to get to see Nick’s mom and dad with Caleb. His dad was grinning ear to ear the entire evening! (He’s a very serious sort of fella normally.) Traditional menu of turkey, stuffing, and cranberries. There were also carrots, green beans, asparagus, potatoes (mashed and scalloped), and a green salad. For desert, Nick’s mom brought pecan pie and a berry pie. I don’t do the pecan pie, but the berry pie was tasty.
Caleb has changed SO much in the past few months…he is smiling now, can sit up (mostly) on his own…he at least holds his head up now…and he is SO alert. He looks at whomever it talking in the room, will follow your finger if you point at something, etc. His eyes are the EXACT same color as my sister’s – gorgeous steel grey-blue, but otherwise he looks mostly like his dad. I have tons of photos to sort through so those will be coming later. He is also starting to teeth! Poor guy. Amy went to wipe up some drool and he just started screaming. We think maybe she rubbed against his gums which hurt. However, he is easy to soothe and calmed right down once we got his cold teething ring to him.
Travel this time of year sucks…especially when having a 2+ hour layover in Dallas. But it was all well worth it. Now I am back home and today has been (and will continue to be) spent cleaning and doing laundry. Moo has an upset stomach (was up barfing all night), so later I have to go out and buy more carpet cleaner. I think maybe the kennel gave them special Thanksgiving treats – there were bits of bone in the barf. I am going to talk to them when I drop her off for my overnight trip this coming week and remind them that she doesn’t get treats (other than do biscuits).
This coming Thursday morning she is going in for her knee surgery. I am still unsure whether or not I will be making the Christmas trip to New Orleans…but really, after being away this week, Moo being relatively fresh out of surgery, and with upcoming work travel, I am not too bummed about it. With next year being Neil’s year with Chloe which means a big, chaotic family Christmas, I am really OK with staying home and having a quiet Christmas by myself this year (which I had been under the impression was the plan all along – the staying home for a quiet Christmas part – until the trip got dropped on me). Traveling and staying in a place other than my own house and bed instantly removes the “quiet” part of anything for me even if there is no additional family involved. Dealing with airlines and packing and hauling dogs to and from the kennel and then having to come home and do laundry from the trip, clean the house from having two bored cats cooped up in it, etc. There is nothing restful or quiet about any of that. *sigh*
Speaking of cleaning – time to get back to cleaning out the fridge. Some lettuce went bad and stank up the whole thing…which got me scrubbing. Once that is done it will be time to vacuum and scrub floors and then bathrooms. Whhheeee! Oh, and more laundry, of course.

Read and post comments |
Send to a friend


2 thoughts on “Turkey Day & Life Update

  1. good luck for Moo's surgery. She'll have to hang out and rest a lot afterwards, right?I had a 2 hr layover in Philly and then they delayed the flight….it was, un-fun…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s